Grandview Heights Schools Performing Arts Philosophy:
Music and the Arts are basic to the quality and richness of life, and to our human existence itself. They are, therefore, an essential component of every child’s education. A planned music instructional program is to be presented to children as an integral discipline, worthy of study, and through which all three learning domains (cognitive, psychomotor, and affective) are utilized. A quality music education should provide opportunities to perform, improvise, compose, and arrange music in all mediums - including the use of technology. These music experiences are an effective vehicle for transmitting self-confidence, self-discipline, cooperative learning, social interaction, and cultural awareness, and will foster continual musical development in all students. Specifically, our department is committed to actualizing the following beliefs and practices for all students:
- Developing and enhancing music appreciation, musicianship and artistry through a variety of music literature.
- Discovering and exploring the fundamentals, technique, and skills of performance.
- Reading and interpreting music accurately, fluently, and for meaning.
- Emphasizing professional etiquette of the individual within rehearsal, performance, and audience environments.
- Providing high quality performance opportunities that are meaningful and relevant to the students - as well as the traditions of the community.